Test Automation Case Study – PayPal
Not Meeting the Needs of International Customers is Unacceptable.
As world leader in the field of online payment PayPal was finding it very challenging to meet the needs of their millions of international clients. A working solution was needed that not only supported their customers in over 190 countries but did so in their own language without bogging down the resources.
As a global online financial services provider is seeking to improve quality for regional products, synergy in testing through collaborative work with their existing development center, and cost efficiencies through automation. The goal is increasing their customer satisfaction/ Net-Promoter-Score (NPS).
NPS is a measure of customer loyalty based on the likelihood of a customer to recommend your product or service. The net score is arrived at by taking the total percentage of people that would promote you (promoter) less the percentage of people who would go out of their way to recommend against your product (detractor).
Most of the original requirements set out when PayPal first opened their doors for business did not include support for international customers. As such, they only began to establish any type of localization in a very late stage of their development. PayPal was also faced with LQA coverage and capabilities that did not have the ability to scale built in. As such, the amount of IQM bandwidth being consumed by the use of manual reporting and testing tasks had become extremely excessive, leading to poor overall system performance and serious customer dissatisfaction.
As a world leader in online payments PayPal came to us with the primary goal of making major improvements in their overall customer satisfaction rating. They were looking for a company that could develop a new system that would support in country BU’s , support continued international growth, optimize their current LQA/IQM module and provide for continuous improvement in both testing and customer support as well as the overall customer experience.
Symbio has provided Language Quality Assurance Testing for PayPal since 2008. A centralized team based in Beijing, China was originally created from two native speaking Language Quality Assurance Engineers to support PayPal’s centralized Global Localization Team in testing both major releases and country specific features. In four years PayPal and Symbio have invested in this team together with the following results:
- Eliminated the vast majority of the existing bugs on the live sites achieve full localization automation
- Transitioned a team from Language Quality to full support
Like any service, the work provided is only as good as the results it delivers. PayPal needed a system that would enhance the functionality of their current system. They needed a global solution to a global problem and we delivered. By the time our team finalized the project,PayPal was able to:
- Support payments around the world in 25 different currencies, including the US dollar, the Euro, the Mexican Peso and the Chinese RMB to name a few
- They now enjoy fully localized web and mobile services and products in 21 world markets such as Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Israel, Japan, Mexico and of course the US with more countries scheduled to come on board in the near future
- They now have the ability to cover 22 languages in China alone, not to mention those in many other countries
- Net result is a very happy client whose capability to operate on a global basis has been significantly improved and is fully scalable
We work best in complete collaboration with our clients, and it all begins with a conversation. No matter what industry you serve or where you are in the world, we can help you with your digital innovation journey to transform your business and your customer relationships.
Let’s start the conversation!